Ocean City, New Jersey | Visit Website
When disaster strikes, pets as well as people need help. This staff is trained to assist officers in providing animal rescue and relief.
How this Shelter Helps Pets, People and the Community
- Hosts a weekly spay/neuter day and a once-a-month feral cat clinic
- Offers behavioral training sessions for adopted dogs with certified dog trainers
- Manages pet therapy programs to visit schools and nursing homes
- Uses social media to promote public awareness, the benefits of microchipping, spay/neuter and disease prevention as well as communicating food recalls and weather warnings and precautions
- Rescues and rehabilitates injured wildlife
- Trains employees to assist Animal Control Officers who specialize in animal rescue and disaster relief in a community that has seen three disasters in six years, including Hurricanes Sandy and Irene
How $25,000 from HomeAgain Helps Would Aid this Shelter
Winning the Grand Prize would help the Humane Society of Ocean City to upgrade its kennel system with improvements such as fixing the interior of the dog runs, adding outdoor fencing and retrofitting the adoptable cat room to make more comfortable habitats. It would also apply funds toward the purchase of new sick bay equipment including stainless steel cages that help to curtail disease transmission.